Monday, April 28, 2008

Apple isn't perfect at user interface

While I'm a huge Mac fan, I'm certainly not backward in complaining about faults in the Mac OS (even though Windows is more about complaining about what is right).

Here's a good example: Mac users should be well aware that to force quit an application, you go "Apple-Alt-Escape" (or "Command-Option-Escape" if you're a traditionalist). The Menu command shows the keyboard shortcut including 3 symbols that are on my Mac (Apple made) keyboard except for the last symbol which apparently means Escape (or "Esc" on my keyboard). In multiple revisions of OS X, couldn't Apple put a character showing "Esc" into the system font?

While I know the shortcut already, the lack of a correct symbol made using the handy "Complete" command in TextEdit (and many new text applications) hard until I realised what that symbol was.

What the heck is it anyway? A cross between a power button and the symbol for male?

No comments: